I've actually had this done since the first week if March, or was it the beginning of the second? For a while now :) My goal was to re quilt and bind it. The binding fabric is a light grey with lighter grey circles from Riley Blake Super Star. I wanted something that would not stand out more than the quilt since the quilt has so much piecing. And it needed to go with the back.
The back's a little crazy but I'm trying to use up, make do or do without. It doesn't match the front but it is its own friend :) I found pinks in the stash that were all a bit coral-y or warm that would go together. I added in the yellow for a break from all the pinkness. It does go with the yellow in the bottom print. I think it's Alexander Henry? and the strips on the sides are A. Henry Farmdale Crosshatch, there's some Amy Butler Soul Blossom and some Del-hi (the yellow polka dot one).
The quilting is organic straight line both vertical and horizontal. I really like the look and was happy that it would reinforce all those small pieced seams. Some of the fabric pieces were less than two inches square. I was so happy with the straight lines, that I echo quilted the stitching that sewed the binding down.
I had originally done the quilting in grey but it stood out too much. It almost looked like it was sitting on top. I pulled out my Aurifil pack (the one I won in the Merrily We Sew Along) and got the white, grey and pink out. To my surprise the pink looked the best. It blended in with the grey and blue very well, or maybe I should say it complemented them and didn't distract.
It was a brain buster during the Scrappy Stash QAL. Once I had the blocks sewn I had all these different sizes that I had to fit together.
I laid out those blocks a couple times on the floor and just couldn't get them to work so I made more block, combined some and decided I definitely needed the grey blocks I had planned to use.
After all the blocks were done I laid them out and rearranged them for hours. I took pictures of the layouts I liked the most and had my two sisters also give their two cents about what should go where. Once I decided how the blocks should go I had to figure out a way to put them together. I didn't want to deal with partial seams as I was trying to get the quilt done in time for the quilt-a-long. I finally got them into sections and added more logs to the scrappy cabins where necessary to make them fit. Here's the plan that worked. This, ahem, beautiful photo is a phone picture that I played with to organize in photoshop then took a screen picture of. But hey, it was about 2:30 in the morning and I needed the plan to be set :)
I'm so pleased how it all turned out and I really do think its a lovely finish.